July 05, 2009

July 2009 American Vogue

It's 5:18 AM here in Austin and I am sitting at my desk ready the July '09 issue of American Vogue. I was bored and awake after my July 4th festivities, or rather lack there of, so I decided to run to my local convenience store to grab some tea and this month's issue of Vogue. I have to say that Sienna Miller is NOT one of my favorite actresses but she seems to be grace the cover of Vogue many times.. I don't it.. or rather, I don't get her.. Who knows, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and I will not judge this cover. Her dress and styling is also rather boring. Also, this month's issue is rather thin. I'm not a size queen and all, but, I do hope the content makes up for its' lack in size.


So far, I really enjoyed the piece on dealing with your financials from the perspective of a newly divorced single mother of two. As I was reading the piece, all I could think about was my own mother and how she nags me everyday to save money. I can't help my love for clothes and dining out.. But I will try. Shopping at thrift/vintage/exchange stores is a good start though. I can't remember the last time I splurged on an article of clothing - and I'm still broke.. But the Maggie McGuane's story really opened my eyes about money, saving, needs, wants, and spending habits. I will definitely taking a few pointers from her. 

Here are some of my favorite quotes from her piece.
"For a moment, I was chagrined by what I couldn't have. Comparison is lethal to contentment."

"For years, I'd acquired things that I not only didn't need but didn't much like after they were acquired."

This is the only piece I've read from this issue at the moment. I've just been skimming through the pictures and headlines that I'll end up reading later on. I love the collage of photos from this year's Costume Gala. One day, I will be in attendance. Buh-eyee!

No comments:

Post a Comment