June 18, 2010

Be the Change

Be the change
As part of National Pride month, YouTubers around the nation have made 'Be the Change' videos to spread the word about LGBTQ and the Trevor Project. Here are some of my favorite 'Be the Change' videos and below is my own story of how I'm apart of the change. Watch. Listen. Learn. Think. Change.





Like many other LGBTQ members, I've struggled with myself about coming to terms of who I am. We live in a world that does not educate about LGBTQ, but rather urge us to believe that who we are is wrong. I grew up, and still live, in the South where many views and ideas are still very 'Republican', but on the upside to that, my city is one of the more liberal cities in my state -- and it's a pretty big state.

Throughout middle school and early high school, I hadn't yet found myself and where I belong in this chaotic pool of freaks, geeks, outcasts, and the plastics. Was I a cool Asian? An Asian nerd? An unfriendly black hottie? I tried so hard to find out. I floated and molded myself into what I thought I should be. I was always conscience of whether or not I was hiding my homosexuality enough so that the other kids wouldn't start pointing fingers at me. Although, looking back now, I know I didn't do so very well.

Throughout this time, I was fortunate enough to be apart of amazing groups that opened my eyes to the world and myself. I slowly let go of my insecurities and fears and become what I what I wanted to be on the inside, on the outside.

In high school, I was 'out'. I had this idea that I did not want to be known for my sexual orientation but rather, my talents and skills. I never denied my sexuality if someone had asked me or talked about it, but it was never what I would start off with. I wanted people to get to know me and not my sexual orientation.

Now, with life after high school. Looking back at the many photos I have. I can see more and more of my insides. Now it's my life, and I wear what I want to wear, do what I want to do, say what I want to say, act how I want to act, and love who I want to love. I truly believe that being myself has inspired my friends to be themselves. Having the confidence to be yourself is tough for everyone. Fear is not biased. We all experience it.

Each and every day I wake up and am myself. Because of this, I can hope that others see this and can do the same. Whether your a personal friend of mine or just see me walking down the street. "Hey, he's wearing make-up. Why can't I?"

There are so many people that I look up to and aspire to because they are themselves. They hold themselves with such confidence and poise that I makes me feel/think that it's okay. People will always be knocking you down and criticizing you, and those people are the ones that are really criticizing themselves because the fear that we all have is greater within these people. The fear has taken over them. Don't let the fear take you. Be yourself. Be the change.

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

P.S. I know I should proofread, but sometimes I just write and publish. K-kinda busy.

-----

Playlist I had going on while writing this post.
Destiny's Child - Stand Up For Love
Cindy Lauper - True Colors (Glee version)
Miley Cyrus - Liberty Walk
Rent - Goodbye Love
Rent - Without You

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your writing- I also thinks it's great you have not only opened up about being a part of the LGBTQ community, but have embraced it. Your honesty is inspiring, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete